Skip to main content

SL Data Community November Meetup - Session 1: Streaming Analytics in Power BI Questions and Answers

SL Data Community November event concluded successfully on yesterday(29th of November) with 50+ attendees even with the bad weather condition and heavy traffic congestion. I hope everyone went home safely. 
Typically, SL Data Community meet-up is happening in every month. It includes two sessions and being treated as a common place where we can share our knowledge, experiences, and thoughts about technologies (mostly data related) which we are earning while working in the Corporate world.  

 Data Community members who were participated 
   
This time the first session was conducted by myself. The topic was Real Time Streaming Data Analytics using Microsoft Power BI


While I'm delivering my session: Stream Analytics in Power BI


In the session, I spoke regarding How to analyze streaming data using Microsoft Power BI and demonstrated it. At the end, the session was opened for the Questions and Answers. These are the questions I was asked by the audience. I thought it is better to write it up in a blog post by assuming this is going to be some common questions anyone could have regarding Power BI and other technologies. 

Q1: Can I sign-up with Microsoft Power BI Service and Use it Today?


Yes. If you have a corporate email account or if you are a university student you probably have an email account which given by your campus. That is the minimum requirement to have in order to sign up with Microsoft Power BI. Apparently, you cannot use non-corporate email accounts like Gmail, Hotmail .. etc. 

In here I assume what Power BI does is, validating the signup email based on the domain. Typically once the domain is registered for a company or an organization you are getting your email address with that domain. So Power BI can search your email domain and validate it whether it is a corporate account or not.

Once you signed up, you will be assigned to a Power BI Free license where typically you can perform all the functionalities in Pro License except for collaboration and sharing reports you created with others in your tenant.

Q2: Does Streaming Analytics functionality available with Power BI Free License?

Yes. That was my answer at the session based on what I read. But, I needed to do it practically and verify my answer. I signed up with another corporate account and by default, they assigned the account for Power BI free license. In this account, I cannot create Apps which have the control to collaborate the reports among others in the organization. Normally when we're trying to create an App Workspace while were are in the free account it will pop-up the below message. 


Basically, it asks you to move to Pro License to work with Apps. Then, let's move to the question again. "Is it possible to do streaming stuff?" I tried to add Streaming dataset with my newly created free account. Yessss ! It is possible. I’m pleased with that. Because all of you can try what I did in the demo 😊

Creating a Streaming Dataset

Adding fields to Streaming Data Set

Streaming Dataset created successfully using Free account

Q3: What are the Algorithms used in Sentiment Analysis?

I explained a small experiment I did during my session which is a sentiment analysis using Twitter feeds from Microsoft Flow and Azure Text Analytics API. Also, I explained it can be easily done without any coding involved. So, the third question from the audience was what is the technology or algorithm behind it. Essentially, if there is a comment from a customer regarding the service of the company, how Azure text API identify correctly whether the comment is positive/negative or neutral

I didn’t have a perfect answer at that time. Because I just tried out using the API and Flow and was waiting to get some free time to learn more about it.



They are using various classification techniques to generate sentiment. For the 'input classifier' includes n-grams, word embeddings, features generated from the speech tags etc. Sounds interesting? You can learn more exactly how they do in this link.

The second half of the meetup acquired by an expert in Business Intelligence and Microsoft technologies, Gogula Aryalingam who also a Microsoft MVP on Data Platform

He spoke regarding Speedup ETL Data Cleansing using Power Query which is related Data Warehousing and Data Integration development. 

While Gogula is delivering ETLing, ETL testing and some new tools introduced by Microsoft recently. 
There was a question and answer session at the end for the audience with give-aways. 😊

Comments

  1. Informative blog and it was up to the point describing the information very effectively. Thanks to blog author for wonderful and informative post...
    Microsoft Power BI Online Training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice Blogs! I have to learning for lot of information for this sites. Sharing for wonderful information about the power bi consultants.

    ReplyDelete


  3. You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar website
    data analytics consulting
    visit the site to know more about Omdata.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Run T-SQL Script Files Using Command Line

Most of the time when we need to execute a SQL script or statement, then we go for SQL Server Management Studio to execute our T-SQL scripts. But the same result we can achieve using Command Prompt. This is very simple way to do that just a matter of write a command and pass few arguments. You can see the process status like as in when you execute a query in Management studio. Use-case : There may be having some situations you won't be able to execute T-SQL script using Management Studio. Most of the time when doing data population. In my case, I had a situation I needed to populate a Database without using backup/restore. Once I generated script with all the schemas and related data it took around 400+Mb sql file.  SQL Server Management Studio will not allow you to run the script unless you execute the query in high-end box. Because, when the file loaded to the memory it will too hard to cater our requirement. You may probably get  memory ...

How to Create a Date Table in Few Steps Using Power BI

Calendar Dimension or Calendar Table is one of the crucial table in a Power BI model. I never have seen any data warehouse data model which does not have a Calendar table so far in my development. Because, when it comes to data warehousing or dimension modeling you may storing various business processes or events as Facts. So those events anyway occur in particular date or time. So simply there wouldn’t be a Power BI data model without a date table. In this post, I’m going to share with you how to create a date table within few steps. Actually, there are two DAX measures which we can use to create a date table. Calendar(DAX) and CalendarAuto(Auto). Calendar(DAX) = You can pass start date and End date as parameters you need to create date table. CalendarAuto(DAX) = You can use this function without passing any parameter. Then it will generate the dates based on your data model dates.  You can simply copy the below DAX code and paste in your Power BI Desktop DAX e...

Value Encoding in Vertipaq Engine

If you can remember my last blog post regarding Vertipaq engine inside SSAS Tabular , I’ve discussed three algorithms which are in use when process the model. Processing in the sense perform data loading from the relational source and load into the tabular structure. In here data compression is taken place in order to save the memory footprint. It is really important because all the data we had in the data warehouse or source relational database after processed the model load into the memory. So by the compression save the huge amount of memory space and it will utilize your hardware optimum way while faster scans because the data model is smaller than the original. These are the steps taking place when we process the tabular model from SSDT or via SQL Server Management Studio.  Read the data from the source database and transform into columnar structure or vertipaq data structure while data encoding and compression occurs. Creating of dictionaries and indexes for eac...